Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Tutorial: Red Lips (and otherwise natural makeup)


After posting this photo to my Instagram account (@ericabasha, if you want to follow)  I had a request for a tutorial / product information.  This is a typical weekend day look for me, since it is quick, easy and looks put together.  So here it is!


1.  Apply moisturizer to the face as normal.  I also use a tinted moisturizer over my regular moisturizer.  I like Bare Minerals Skincare Tinted Moisturizer because it doesn't make me break out and it has sunscreen in it.  There are SO many formulas out there, including many drugstore brands, so just use what you like!  A BB Cream would work also.

2.  Apply under eye concealer and spot conceal any red areas.  I use Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer for the under eye area, and Bobbi Brown Face Touch Up Stick for the rest of my face.  I recommend applying the under eye concealer with your fingers (helps blend it better) and a synthetic brush for everywhere else (helps it stick better and wastes less product). 

3.  Apply Bare Minerals foundation (or any mineral powder foundation you like) with a big brush.  

4.  Apply bronzer (I like Nars Bronzing Powder in Laguna, but anything will work as long as it is not too shimmery) in a "3" motion on both sides of your face (so it hits your hairline, cheekbone, and jawbone) and over your nose.  

5.  Apply blush to the apples of the cheeks.  I almost always use Nars Orgasm, but any peachy blush will work.  

6.  Fill in eyebrows with the product of your choice.  These days I am using MAC eyeshadow in Omega and a angled brush, then adding a little of MAC's eyebrow pencil in Fling.  Comb through with a spoolie brush.

7.  Put on some mascara.  I obviously have some recommendations on this site:)  

8.  Now this is the more precise step.  Make sure your lips are clean and moisturized (flakey lips never look good) and then line the perimeter of them with a lip liner.  You can use nude, clear, or red liner.  Because the finished look is more natural, you do not have to exaggerate your lip liner or draw a harsh line.  The liner really just acts like a barrier to the lipstick and prevents bleeding color.

9.  Apply the lipstick! I usually just use the tube and apply directly, but you can always use a lip brush (helps with precision) instead.  I used Nars Matte Lipstick in Heat Wave, but any matte red lipstick should suffice.  

10.  This last step is completely optional, but I added a shimmery highlighter to the inner corners of my eyes and to the brow bone.  I used Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Duality, which is a fat pencil with one matte highlighter and one shimmery highlighter.  A good dupe is NYX Cosmetics Eyebrow Push-up Bra.

And there you have it!  It seems like a lot of steps, but I promise it is a quick process.  If you try it out, please let me know what you think in the comments section.






No comments:

Post a Comment