Friday, March 7, 2014

DIY: Coconut Oil for Deep Conditioning

I know this is really supposed to be a "makeup blog", but I do have a love for all things beauty, including hair products.  Due to the dryness and bitter cold in DC throughout the winter, my hair has been extremely dry and brittle- I am a walking split end!  After reading some other blogs and pinned articles, I decided to try a natural DIY coconut oil treatment for my hair.  I have had a jar of coconut oil in my cabinet (unopened) for almost a year, so I figured this what a start to putting it to good use:) You can buy coconut oil at any grocery store for about $10.  The oil solidifies at room temperature, so it looks thick and gloppy until you either warm it between your hands ( to liquify it) or heat it up.


There are various ways to use coconut oil for your hair, based on the thickness, dryness, etc.  Some people apply it on wet hair, others on dry hair.  Some leave it on for 20 minutes, others sleep with the oil in their hair overnight and rinse it out in the morning.  Do what you feel is best for YOUR hair!  I think used properly, the coconut oil treatment would work on any hair type.  Be sure not to put it near your roots if your hair is on the oilier side.

I decided to apply it to my dry hair, left it in overnight, and washed and conditioned it in the morning.    After scooping coconut oil into my palms and running it through my hair, I put it up in a topknot to sleep.  If you leave it in overnight like I did, you probably want to sleep with either an old pillow case over your pillow or wrap a scarf or turbie towel over your head to prevent oil stains on your bed linens.  When I woke up, I just wet my hair and shampooed and conditioned as usual (I am using Pureology's purple line right now).

Let me tell you, this stuff really works!  Not only do my ends look "healed", but the rest of my hair seems smoother and shinier.  I definitely recommend giving it a whirl, if you are in need of a good deep conditioning treatment.  If you have thicker, coarser hair, you can also use a little coconut oil as a leave in conditioner.  If you decide to give it a try, please let me know what you think:)




No comments:

Post a Comment