I doubt most people will be sitting inside reading blog posts this weekend (FINALLY amazing weather has come!), but I just wanted to share five quick beauty/makeup tips to get you ready for summer.
1. Don't forget to wear sunscreen! This is not a new or interesting tip, but skin cancer is at an all time high and why wouldn't you want to prevent wrinkles and premature aging if you can?! Your face makeup may have a little added sunscreen, but it is not generally enough to really protect your skin, so add an extra layer beneath it- your skin will thank you. There are all kinds of formulas out there (including lotions, creams, powders, gels, you name it), so there are no excuses to get you out of this one.
If you have oily/acne-prone, you should try something that is non-comedogenic (won't clog pores), such as Peter Thomas Roth Instant Mineral Powder SPF 30 ($30). If your skin is dry, you should try a formula with added nutrients, like Vitamin E to help keep skin soft and moisturized, like L'Oreal Advanced Suncare Silky Sheer BB Face Lotion 50+ ( $10.99). If you have sensitive/reactive skin, you should look into a sunscreen that uses physical UV blockers (think zinc) rather than chemical sunscreens which can aggregate skin (try Aveeno Baby Natural Protection Stick SPF 50 ($9.99)). If you are looking for something to protect your skin and provide anti-aging benefits, try a sunscreen with chemical blockers like Helioplex or Mexoryl SX, which supposedly work wonders. Give Neutrogena Healthy Defense Daily Moisturizer with Broad Spectrum Suncreen SPF 30 ($13.99) a whirl.
2. Get a good trim and condition your hair! With all the sun, sand, and beach/pool water you are bound to expose your hair to, you should try to start with as clean a slate as possible. Go get a trim to clean up those scraggly ends and use as rich of a deep conditioner that your hair can take on a weekly basis. If you need a DIY hair conditioner recipe, read my post Coconut Oil for Deep Conditioning.
3. Keep hydrated! Another no-brainer, but keeping your body well-hydrated will keep your skin, nails, hair- well, everything- in tip-top shape. Also, a good swipe of lotion all over and a slick of lip balm does wonders:) Something quick and easy for the summer: Vaseline Spray & Go Total Moisture Spray
4. Try a bright lip color! Generally, we all wear less makeup in the summer, but it is a great time to try a nice, juicy shade of lipstick or gloss- you probably have a little tan and a pink, orange or coral will look especially flattering. Plus, you just need to add a little mascara and you look "done". Revlon has some inexpensive and amazing options.
5. Clean out your beauty supplies! Technically, this does not need to be done at any particular part of the year, but I just thought it would be a good reminder. Your makeup and skincare products do NOT stay good forever, so do an inventory on what you have that is still good, throw out what is not, and make a list for what you need to replace (or even upgrade!). Generally speaking, you should chuck mascara whenever it starts getting dried out (3 months max, like a toothbrush!), liquids (like foundations and concealers) after about 6-12 months, and powders (blush, eyeshadow) after a couple years.
And clean your makeup brushes while you are at it:)
I hope you all enjoy your Memorial Day weekend, thanks again for reading!